Monday, March 3, 2014

26 letters, 26 weeks

Lily and I started our "letter-a-week" today! If we keep on schedule, we'll finish in the last week of August. As of now, she can correctly identify all her letters but has a hard time saying a few i.e., C, H, J, L, S. I'm hopeful that doing this will help her pronounce them and learn a few other things along the way. :)

We're going to be doing a daily activity/theme throughout the week to further help her learn her ABCs.  This is what I've come up with:

Monday: 'Make-something-Monday'. We'll make a craft using the letter of the week and hang in the kitchen.

Tuesday: 'Taste-it-Tuesday'. We'll snack on a food that begins with our letter.

Wednesday: 'Word-Wednesday.' We'll read about someone in the bible whose name begins with our letter.

Thursday: 'Throwback-Thursday'. We'll revisit the letters from the previous weeks.

Friday: FaceTime-Friday. Lily will pick a person to call/faceTime and share with them our letter of the week and something she's learned.

Week 1, of course, is the letter A


I'll round out our weeks with a post of what we did for each day. It is my hope that stating this will keep me accountable and it will help me use my camera more often for daily occurrences, not just special outings or holidays. If there isn't a post about the letter B, ya'll better comment on here!

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Every mom is a homeschooling mom to some degree or other. Have fun learning the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! Especially since I am currently laminating my "letter of the week" cards to put up on my bulletin-board in my in-progress school-zone. We must be friends :) And I'm working on a "verse of the week" to go with each letter (we have a book with them but some of the letters I want different verses for)! Love Taste-it Tuesday. Might have to steal. Also, since we can't seem to kick this virus and haven't seen people in like 10-years, maybe we can be on your FaceTime Friday list :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've considered this or not, but teaching the phonetic alphabet (based on the sounds letters commonly make in a word instead of the names we call them) can really help with reading in the future!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cU9fqpCqBA
    This is a video about the consonants. She demonstrates the sounds starting at 1:51. Lily and Ethan are adorable! (This is Rachel (Mark's cousin) by the way. Blogspot isn't recognizing my google account!)

    ReplyDelete