Friday, November 19, 2010

to brine or not to brine

that is the question.

It's t-minus a week before Thanksgiving (help me rhonda) and I still haven't decided if I want to brine my turk or slather it with a fresh butter and herbs mixture. I have been reading articles about people who LOVE their turkeys that sit in a bath all night, "I brine a turkey every year because it’s the right thing to do", says Pioneer Woman. On the other hand I have my uber-talented step-father, who just so happens to be a chef, and he says, "fresh herbs and slow cooking is all you need".

Oh brother. Somebody please decide for me before I end up buying two turkeys and doing both.
(My family did that once; one was smoked and one was cooked.  On the day it was a huge fiasco, but it's quite hilarious to think about now).

                                                      brine                    OR                    roast


either way, it better look like this:

 
OH BABY!


2 comments:

  1. Since you asked ... I recommend not brining. Since this is your first attempt at turkey-roasting, I think going the simplest route the first time is advisable! But I'm sure it'll turn out either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best tasting and simplest method is the turkey bag. Prepare the bird; put it in the basting bag; stick it in the oven; forget about it (except that it will smell so good that you can't!)

    ReplyDelete